EcoSynthetix engages in the development, manufacture, and commercialization of bio-based technologies. Located in Burlington, Ontario, our head office and Centre of Innovation is home to our product development and applications testing laboratories and our state-of-the-art pilot plant. We are seeking to add to our dynamic team of professionals who share a passion for developing and commercializing sustainable, bio-based chemistries and polymers. The successful incumbent will have the opportunity to develop and implement some of the industry’s most innovative green chemistry.
Reporting to the VP of Research and Development, the R&D scientist is responsible for the ideation, design, execution, and implementation of product development projects focused in the area of bio-based polymers and chemistries for various industrial applications. These projects will expand the EcoSynthetix portfolio offerings in current markets and other early stage technology platforms.
- Develop products and solutions from novel bio-based building blocks and/or polymers for industrial applications including building products, packaging, graphic and specialty papers
- Manage R&D Projects, starting from ideation to benchtop experimentation, to scale up and commercialization.
- Support the translation of customer needs into product development projects and research projects
- Directing the activities of associated technicians engaged in development projects
- Development and implementation of new characterization methods and new analytical quality control routines for the manufacture and characterization of bio-based polymers
- Supporting the technology transfer from laboratory and pilot plant to commercial scale
- Compiling results through progress reports and presenting results during team meeting or project review
- Assisting with written submission of patent applications
- Keeping abreast of pertinent scientific developments, including patents, providing executive summaries and comments regarding strategic impact and direction
- Presenting original research data at industry meetings, and writing scientific papers for publication in technical journals
- MSc or preferred Ph.D. in Chemistry, Organic Chemistry or Polymer Chemistry
- Experienced in industrial research environment with minimum 5 years’ experience; 10 years preferred
- Track record of executing fundamental chemistry research from high level concept and idea generation to detailed execution and demonstrated commercialization success
- Proven ability to execute projects through both hands-on testing and experimentation as well as project management skills and team leadership
- Strong practical experience combined with a deep fundamental understanding of a broad range of polymer chemistries such as carbohydrates and other functional polymers
- Experience with reactive extrusion processes would be an asset
- Management experience an asset
- Experience with GPC, DSC, TGA, organic and polymer synthesis
- Alignment to our company culture demonstrating a high degree of; curiosity, humility, courage, innovative thinking, judgment, and passion
- Effective team player, with the ability to be independent
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including report writing as well as strong problem-solving skills