EcoSynthetix offers a range of sustainable engineered biopolymers that allow customers to reduce their use of harmful materials, such as formaldehyde and styrene-based chemicals. Our flagship products, DuraBind™ and EcoSphere®, are used to manufacture wood composites, paper and packaging, and enable performance improvements, economic benefits and sustainability. We are publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (T:ECO) and based in Burlington, Ontario, Canada.
EcoSynthetix is seeking a full-time Research and Development Leader.
Scope + Responsibilities
- Accountable for the development and delivery of all new products across all lines of EcoSynthetix business
- Leads the successful development and evolution of the company’s technology platforms, products and applications
- Advising both the Executive Management and Board of Directors of the company’s technology platforms, products
- Balance ‘research’ and ‘development’ parts of the role and position
- Lead drive to develop new products with compelling customer value propositions in target markets
- Actively participate in strategic discussions with executive leadership team relating to vision, strategy and long-term business objectives
- Lead the targeting, development and ongoing management of third party technology development relationships
- Serve as thought leader internally and externally regarding science and technology
- Actively participate in discussions with third parties in matters relating to strategic alliances, joint ventures, distributor relationships, M+A opportunities from a technical perspective
- Develop and execute an effective IP strategy; develop the company’s IP portfolio and ensure its offensive and defensive protection
- Leadership for capturing key opportunities and challenge learnings from customer experiences; leading the org in resolving technical issues to deliver customer value
- Safety and regulatory leadership
- Team leadership, mentorship and development; goal and objective setting
- Align organization around Eco’s R+D roadmap
- Develop policies, standards re: R+D
Attributes + Experiences
- >10 years’ experience plus a PhD in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Material Science
- Demonstrable track record in the commercialization of new products, from concept through to customer purchase
- Successful leadership of introduction of new binder material, preferably in urethanes
- Strong communicator at all levels – internally and externally
- Expert-level understanding of wood composite technology, binders and polymer chemistries
- Understanding and experience with the interaction between physical influencers (ie, press strategy) and chemistry optimization in industrial practice
- Experience at a leadership level at an organization that has rapidly scaled from start-up to multi-million in revenue
- Strong business acumen
- Demonstrated passion for developing disruptive technologies, specifically in the field of green chemistry
- Proven leadership abilities
- In-depth knowledge of applicable laws and regulations
- Experience managing patents and IP portfolios
EcoSynthetix is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to HR@ecosynthetix.com. Include the position title in the subject line of your email.